Sunday, March 11, 2007

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME…THAT DELICIOUS GIFT OF 60 PRECIOUS MINUTES!

As every minute becomes more and more precious with age, I choose to make the best use of this extra hour by spending it with a good friend of mine attending an evening performance called FAGAALA at Brooklyn Academy of Music, also affectionately known as BAM. It is a powerful dance theater piece which has toured extensively through Africa, Europe, the U.S., Asia and Australia and is the passionate response of two choreographers, one from Senegal and one from Japan – to genocide.

My friend, Valerie, is a talented photographer who is responsible for having photographed me for my first composite card which I use for modeling. She got the tickets and had a last minute cancellation so she called me knowing that I am a good sport for anything cultural in New York City. I trust her judgment implicitly. I will probably hang out that extra hour with her afterwards having a glass of wine somewhere nearby, toasting to match.com and the incredible impact that it has had on my life, trying to talk her into writing up her profile as well.


I, in turn, am going to tell her about my fabulous video documentary which has just hit the IT’S OKAY TO LOOK website. I have had a few days to judge the initial response of the video documentary. And here’s a recap…

My best response was from my daughter who works in the creative industry of television, film, movies and fine arts. She is a celebrity make-up artist as well as an up-and-coming painter “just-about-to-burst-on-the-New York Art Scene in a really big way” - fine artist and social commentator, having taken up a whole new direction than her much more conservative mother who paints good and realistic portraits of an international clientele, children as well as dogs, landscapes, etc. She told me that the video made her burst into tears at the sight of her late father whom she adored who was “co-starring” with me (via many treasured photos from our lives together).

My son’s comments were also complimentary, but of a more practical note:
“I wonder if the pictures of Dad might scare suitors away.” Hopefully, people will realize by viewing part 2 that I am now ready to move on to a new and different life, hopefully starting a whole new life.

My daughter’s friends’ comments (listed below) ran the gamut from a diverse group of people in various professions:

“Absolutely beautifully done and as a producer, I am sure that they did it on a shoestring. You would never know – Danishbeauty22 is just a terrific subject. Forget those other ladies, I want to go out with her!"

"Oh, I loved those videos! It made me very emotional."

"I hope to inspire my daughters the way your mom inspires you! (You have her smile by the way) She is so beautiful!"

"Really, really great! What a woman, very cool. Helen Mirren and now your Mom."

Another wrote: "Senior babes rule. Your mother is very beautiful. It is quite apparent that her spirit and elegance were passed to you."

"It made me cry!"

"Hmm, an attractive, vibrant fearless, sexy woman in her 70’s. No surprise to me, she is YOUR MOM. It runs in the family."

"Tell your Mom, we are rooting for her."

"Thanks for sending this. She seems like a very strong woman and it’s great to see someone like her putting it out there. When we see something like this, it reaffirms the wonderfulness of the human spirit because, let’s face it, so much around us these days is doing the exact opposite."


And to the more descriptively put quote:

"Yay for your mom, the kick ass diva of the New Millennium RIGHT ON GIRL you go!!!!!"

As I close this lengthy blog, I cannot help thinking of what my formidable, brilliant mother-in-law (author of a book on Black Greek pottery and a PhD) who lives in Athens and in her young days a teacher at Miss Porter’s Finishing School would think of her daughter-in-law being called “The Kick Ass Diva of the New Millennium.” It is going to be tough to live up to that name!. Sincere thanks to Fred (the Director), Alex and Bruce for the fine, sensitive and discreet job they did on the documentary!